Saturday, November 19, 2016

Bulgarian army anorak

As an afterburner of my trip to Norway  to see Odd I thought I'd throw in a little gear talk for a change; a review if you will. I did bring a few "new" things with me on that trip just for that purpose; to try them out and I must say with mixed results.... sort of.
The first one was the Bundeswehr Gebirgsjäger Rücksack, seen here....


The second one is an anorak. At first I thought it was a Russian anorak, that's how it was sold, but after some digging on the internet it turned out to be Bulgarian! Designed apparently for special units only, so no standard army issue. As if that matters.... Bought it with the intention to give it to my son on his/our Arctic-trip. But I will be keeping it for myself. The main reason? It is too small to be used as an Arctic outer layer. The fact that we are not going is another matter. And for it has a perfect fit...





This anorak actually makes for a perfect non-winter outer layer. I tried it out like I said during the Norway trip up in the mountains in subzero weather. It was windy, but dry and the anorak kept the wind at bay. I was not cold. Cool and comfortable actually. It is not as baggy as my brown Swedish anorak, making it perfect for outdoor activities.
I also tried it at home, during the first spells of winter in snow and cold, windy winterweather. Down to -5C with a wool sweater underneath it kept me warm.... enough. Below that its lack of bagginess meant not enough insulating trapped air and I started to get cold. Not freezing cold, but no longer comfortably cool either. In short this anorak is excellent for conditions anywhere between +15 to -5C, where you might need a windbreaker or just an extra, thin layer. Since the trip to the Arctic will not materialize, this will be mine during my summer trips. I really like it.
Now for the technicalities; It is a sturdy, tightly woven, cotton anorak, olive green. with decent stitching. It has military stamps in it, which I mistook for Russian and metal button with a 5-pointed star on it. There is a double string along the inside of the hood; one for tightening the hood around the neck and one around the face and then there is another one to close up the throat/chin section. The cuffs have elastic bands in them, which are not too tight, ensuring a perfect fit. There are also cuffbands, but they seem to fulfill no purpose other than decorational. Adding an extra button would give them a purpose, though.Around the waist a string can be pulled tight, if so desired. There is a large pocket on the chest and, an oddity for me, a large, single pocket across the butt or lower back, accessible from both sides. All pockets are closed with a flap and button.







3 comments:

  1. I once read a thing that claimed to be a Swedish saying. I quote it to my husband all the time because he has something about getting dressed properly about the weather. He'd rather complain and talk about going to Hawaii.

    The saying is "There's no bad weather. Only bad clothes." You seem to be right in line with getting good clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norwegian or Swedish. Don't really know actually.
      And this anorak was a lucky hit.

      Delete
  2. I have a similar-looking light cotton jacket that is quite versatile. I haven't tried it in really brutal weather, but a little below freezing with a stiff breeze requires only a thin wool sweater and the jacket. By itself it is a nice windbreaker with a bit of insulating value, and I've also used it to protect myself from overexposure on hot summer days. Being baggy definitely makes it more functional.

    ReplyDelete