Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Norwaytrip 2016 - part 3, Storvola hike

After breakfast, again with copious amounts of eggs and bacon. Especially bacon, we started preparing for the hike up Storvola, being 1198m. high. Odd explained that we needed to take the track around it and looking up the slopes I understood why. Nothing but rocks and boulders piled on to each other. The green color of them is lichen and when frost covered becomes very, very slippery.... Ask me how I know...
The path is very uneven, mostly rocks, here and there filled with peat between the gaps, but most of that is actually worn away. According to Odd that's good, because you use every possible muscle in your legs to move over that and he will not be using the area of the wound constantly. The scenery is amazing. I've never been up this high and, as Odd says it, you'll find great skies here. Ain't that the truth...




Now the thing about the next picture is, that there was this rowan bush/tree. In itself not all that unusual were it not for the fact that it was a) well above the treeline, b) still full in leaf and and c) green! The surrounding junipers, normally very low to the ground growing up here, were more than kneehigh! Odd had the suspicion that there might be a warm spot under the tree. A well with warmer water or something like that. It was a great example of a microclimate, since it was just this one spot, maybe 2 or 3 meters across.




Roughly halfway up and just under the very summit, there is a small shelter, where we stopped for coffee. Excellent time for an early lunch too. And a good thing we were there early, because as soon as we had had our coffee and food, people started showing up. We decided to "break camp" and head up toward the summit. Looked like a pretty steep climb anyway. You quickly learn to pay attention to where you're going in this terrain; directly in front of your feet, a few feet ahead of you to see where you're be at next and further up the trail to see what's there and to pick the best tracks.
We also noted large flocks of thrushes passing over head, right through the gap we were in. We figured that they were migrating, using this gap as a landmark toward the Norwegian coast, where it is milder and to head south from there.


















Now what would a trip report be without the obligatory coffebreak fotoshoot, right?









As it turned out, it wasn't all that bad. Sometimes the going was a bit rougher, but in general we made good and relatively easy headway. Then we reached the top.... What can I say? I was in awe. Even though this is a relatively low top, I felt as if on top of the world. The highest I'd ever been on my own feet. And traversing this kind of terrain is quite a bit different than loafing around in the woods. It is more of a high, really. A buzz....
After the initial awe had worn off a bit, we already started making new plans. The next picture shows Rensdalsölen in the distance. Wouldn't it be great to go up there? According to Odd it would be a 2x2 daytrip; 2 up and 2 down.


Of course I had to add my own rock to the top.
As I came down, I casually said that I had left my mark. According to Odd you'd have to pee against it to do that. So.....

Here you can see the landscape into which the cabin is imbedded.
The cabin is to the lower left......
And here to the lower right....
Words as superfluous........




A really suiting picture of my host!
At first I thought the army pants he wears hada funny color and that the yellowish green was quite a bit off...
Look and judge for yourself how wrong I was!!


After the hike we returned to the cabin and saw that the flag was raised, meaning people were "at home". Turned out Odd's parents had come up and brought with them applepie and had made some fresh, hot coffee!! We sat in the sun for about an hour, but then it was time to pack, say goodbye to them and head back south again.
The trip to Odd's place went smoothly again and the evening was pretty quiet. Exercise and mountain air do that to a man. We hit the sack relatively early and the next day saw an early rise again. The time had come to head home myself. This 5 hour drive went without incidents as well, the golden sun, the glistening lakes, the autumn colored forest, the rolling hills and the grey ribbon..... and I was home just after lunchtime..... It all went too fast....

3 comments:

  1. Big skies indeed.
    Regarding the hike to Sølen I was a bit pessimistic on the timeframe. It can easily be done with only one overnighter. Its not more than 12-13km one way. Walk up to were the real climb starts, one night in tent and up to the top and down again the next day.
    So we just have to book the same weather we had last weekend:-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredibly beautiful. I did the calculation to feet and found that )I hope I did it right) that you were at about 4000 feet elevation which is not too bad. Every time I go to Colorado I have to acclimate a lot before we go into the mountains. The starting elevation is a mile high and then we go to almost 14,000 feet. Not a lot of long hiking for me since I live just above sea level at 525 feet.

    Thanks for the wonderful travelogue!

    ReplyDelete