Sunday, July 31, 2016

Social saturation


These past few weeks/months have been pretty demanding; long working days, and many of them, plus more visitors from abroad then we had in the previous years combined, fulfilled my quota of social interaction and pushed me beyond. I have reached a state of social saturation. That means that these days I am quite content with staying at home, not seeing all that many people and it has made me decide to temporarily suspend all activities on club level. No charcoal kiln and no local history society for me this year. I'm taking a break....
Luckily for me there are ways to deal with that system overload. One was, once again, brought to my attention, while out with the boys from work. Ohh how I have missed being out in the woods, strolling along the shores of a lake or just sitting there, watching the things that are going on around me. Part of that pleasure I find at home as well, but this is different. More tranquil, more to the core. I am seriously planning on picking up the hobby or more like lifestyle (again), that bushcrafting provides. Gardening only goes so far. There are some things of a much more elementary nature that need feeding as well. But it'll have to wait until autumn, when the working hours and gardening become less, the normal routines take over and the heat of summer dissipates. A weekend gathering during the final weekend of september is booked and I am taking my oldest daughter.
At home it is working in the garden that revives me; being on my knees, close to the ground, hands on the plants, fingers stained with soil or just sitting next to one of the hives, watching the bees doing their thing. When I stand in their flightpath, they whizz by me, sounding like a propeller plane, closing in from behind and then buzzing by, the hum fading away a few meters in front of me.
Or just sitting on our "new" garden hangout, under the pavilion, looking at the bugs and the birds, reading or just doing nothing... A 3 day mini vacation, forced upon me by the sudden arrival of real summer heat.
I noticed an increase in bird numbers, chattering and calling around me and now the noisy gulls have gone back to the sea with their raised young, a deep silence has spread over the area, occasionally disturbed by manmade noises, but not at all that often. Even the summer guests this year are less noisy, it seems. I think my thoughts, think of all the things I "need" to do, of the plans I had made for this season. An old wisdom says that no plan survives first contact with the enemy or in this case every day reality...... Mesmerising, daydreaming, just letting the thoughts come and go and I follow the waves. It is during times like these that I get my ideas or suddenly stumble onto solutions for existing problems or issues........... and then I saw it! Them actually, as there were two of them.... A rare guest in our garden; a stenknäck! (or hawfinch Coccothraustes coccothraustes) Its size, colour and beak were unmistakable.
We had been hearing a regularly repeating, snapping sound coming from one part of the tree, where a bird cherry stands and they caught my attention as they were squabbling, bending the branches and making noise.

And so I mostly sat for the past few hot days; reading, drinking, planning, doing as little as possible, waiting for this spell of hot weather to pass. Which it eventually did of course.

But later on in the evenings, as the thunderstorms come rolling in, pushing a wave of cool air in front of them, bringing relief to the parched soil and suffering plants, it is good to sit on the balcony and enjoy that cool air and a cold beer. It has been far too dry so far this year as it is...



2 comments:

  1. What is that beautiful green moth? We have cock-a-roaches and black widow spiders. But the other night coming in at dusk we saw out first owl. Maybe a great horned owl but it was off too fast to ID. Yay. So good to know they're out there. We found a guy who was selling pomegranate trees real cheap ($10 each) so we bought 4 and even though it is ridiculously hot (107 was the high two days ago) we took the orchard man's advice and followed it to the "t" and now two days later they seem to be doing all right. Yay again! Maybe we'll get fruit next year. Your last picture says peace. I think I see a troll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej renée, it's a Geometra papilionaria. Quite common around here, but not any less beautiful.
    Fruit trees are always a good investment, I say.

    ReplyDelete