Monday, June 13, 2016

Förläggningstält 12

Now here's another piece of old skool, bombproof vintage Swedish military gear for you; the förläggningstält 12.


Sometimes referred to as 12 manna tält, this is a Swedish army group tent.
The 12 does not stand for how many men you can cram in there, but for the surface area, being 12m2. Getting in 12+gear would fit, albeit a bit challenging and this would get quite cozy (cramped). For us as a family, we'd have plenty of room for us, our fieldcots and the dogs as well.
The major downside of this one; its weight. Haven't weighed it yet, but I guess it would be around 40kgs all in. 15-20kgs for the cloth, 20-25 for the hardware.
A rundown of the partslist;
- the tentcloth itself in the appropriate bag
- a small bag of tentpegs + hammer
- a larger, long bag with poles and dryingrack
- a metal disk
- 4 pieces of chimneypipe
- the stove
- the stoveholder/connector to the chimney
- a clamp
- spare rope


I put up the tent, by myself within an hour, without having never even seen one in real life, but using the 20-versions handbook as a reference, to check for any damages or otherwise unpleasant issues, like mold or even rot. None of this was found. I left it out for a few days though, when it was hot and sunny. It had a bit of a musty smell to it, so I wanted to air it out. Despite sitting in the baking sun during the hottest part of the day, it did not get roasting hot inside. There is plenty of ventilation and the canvas allows for the heat to escape. One could easily live in there during the summer. I remember only too well how how it gets in nylon- and similar tents....
And then all of a sudden the weather turned and we we treated to an afternoon and night of thunderstorms and rain.... Plenty of rain... The tent proved to be watertight enough to keep dry on the inside, despite puddles forming on the top. It proved to be difficult to keep the cloth tought in wind and rain. It sagged a little, but despite the copious amounts of heavenly waters, it held good. The sagging might also be cuased or enhanced by the use of natural rope. And I do not lile the rope to extend so much to the sides either, so I will think of replacing them, shortening them and/or adding tensioners.
The next day the sun was out in force again and the temperature went up. It was nice and windy too, so the tent dried out in no time. Around the outer edge, where puddles had formed on the ground, the cloth was soaked and took a lot longer. So I "hung" that out to dry. I figured out that you can raise the walls real easy, so everything gets very well ventilated and dries really quick.

There's this neat little window in the top of the tent that can be opened from both the outside and the inside.

The stove and dryingrack
 








Now the erecting itself; I laid down the tent, spread it out and secured the lower rings with the pegs in place. I hooked up the disk into the o-rings around the top. I then assembled the stove/chimney, crawled under the tent and stuck the chimnet through the opening in the disk, untill the chimney lodged itself into the disc, after which I could raise the whole thing and I could work on fixing the ropes, so the tent took shape. Then I inserted the poles into their sockets in the upper corners, only to find out afterwards that they should first be inserted into the d-rings at the bottom on the inside. I also found out later that there are 2 longer ones that are supposed to be used on either side of the entrance.
I am also missing a pole or the poles to hold up the entrancecover.
I need to find a routine that makes it easier and quikcer to erect this tent, even when being alone, so I will have to repeat the exercise and also try out the stove, when I do. That will also give me the opportunity to try out how to use the space inside best.

All in all I am quite pleased with this tent. I am sure that it will serve us well.

7 comments:

  1. It reminds me of a Bedouin tent but not as pretty. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is functional, keeps us dry and warm (hopefully) and none too conspicuous. Exactly what it needs to do and needs to be. Pretty is none of them, so no need to be sorry.

      Delete
    2. Maybe you can have fun jazzing it up. Bedouin style north! I see you all eating lamb, couscous and vegetables with your fingers off a large platter and pronouncing it good! My imagination is getting the better of me. :-)

      Delete
    3. Hahahaha....
      And using dogs instead of camels. Maybe some Sami decorations. They have a nice style. Reindeer skins too. These are actually on the wishlist for our february trip.
      But I really dislike couscous. So it'd be moose, berries and whatever edible greens we could find. I know that with a bedouin lifestyle up here we'd end up much further south pretty quick. Too bad fresh veggies don't grow up here during winter. That'd be THE solution; solitude, space, silence, game to hunt, no shortage of wood, but those damned greens....

      Delete
  2. You can see these Swedish army tents here in Finland occassionally too. Strange looking stove for sure. Drying rack looks very useful! I would say the one minus, if you compare to a Finnish army one, is that the chimney works as a center pole as well. If you camp at the same place for several days, you most likely need to clean the chimney every now and then. Depends of course what kind of wood you use, and if it's completely dry or not. Anyway with this construction taking the chimney out it means taking down the tent. Well, I don't know if that really makes it difficult :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah well.... when it comes to old military equipment Swedes tended to think a bit differently than the rest, I suppose.
    Besides those Finnish tents are a bit hard to come by around here too. ;)
    The shape of the stove is dictated by the multiple compartments inside, I think, so the air flows through longer. The chimney construction will lead to creosote running down the pipe segments.

    ReplyDelete