Sunday, January 3, 2016

Watching the snow fall....

This morning I was sitting there.... In my chair by the window, leafing through a book, a mug of hot, steaming coffee close by and a sleeping dog at my feet, when I looked out the window.
Out there everything was still. No human made sounds to be heard. No wind. No warmth. I saw snow falling, silently, gently, almost weightless. I looked at the snow, wondering what it was that captured me, what was different about it. It was the snow falling, but not as it usually did. There was no wind driving it forward, no weight pulling the flakes down, like huge specks of dust, caught in a beam of light.
It was mesmerising, hypnotic and after a while I lost my thoughts. I just looked at them for a while, trying to single out some and focus on them on their way down. Such a variety in shape! Some were like feathers, some like balls of fluff. Some resembled those "helicopter" seeds sycamores drop and behaved in pretty much the same, spiraling way. Some were small, mere pinpricks and others were large, maybe more than a centimeter across, but all were white, silent and on their way down, making the world turn bright.
Like little angels coming down from the heavens and bringing light to this darkening world of us. Another one of those small wonders of nature many of us take for granted or even despise, because they can cause inconvenience in our hectic, everyday life. And yet they bring peace of mind and beauty to those willing to see to.
Later on I took Rex for a walk as usual, but this time I took a different route and we found our girls, who had gone out too. They were in a patch of wood, strewn with boulders. I could see their tracks, but they did not know I was there. They only heard something mover through the woods and thought it might be a moose!
The decided to join me on my round and told me about a place where they'd found a lot of squirrel-sign; a place where many pinecones had been eaten. We checked it out and I took them to another place that had a lot of beaversign; chewn down trees. My youngest one, Elsa, was quite excited to be able to make out every single bite mark left in the wood and we even found a big aspen, about a foot across, that even had most of the bark eaten away, not to mention the entire crown. We moved on and found even more squirrel-diners and even some moosedroppings.
By this time more moist air moved in and the cold made the moisture fall down like snow.... You could feel the air change. The cold started to feel a lot less comfortable and it was time to head home. The girls started to get tired anyway and since I had skipped lunch my fuel supply was running low too.





Sunset at 15:35


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing, Ron. In my book, there are few things better in the world than snow. We've had enough snow for a week or so to go sledding and snow play every day, but more rain is moving in and we had not had very deep freeze. Normally, this time of year we go to see the Huskies race and cut ice on a lake 1890s style for the ice house, but I have a feeling there will be no thick ice this year. Enjoy your peaceful winter!!

    ReplyDelete