I mentioned my sources for the build previously, but for good measure; Warré buildingplans
The process in itself is very straight forward as I almost literally followed the plans. I only had to adjust the measurements to the size of the wood I used. Some planks were not quite 21cm wide, but close and the thickness is not 2cm, but 2,5cm. That means extra insulation in winter and extra bulk, when the hive is empty. The lifting handles were cut with a slope on top, so water can run off.
I constructed 6 boxed and carved a slit 1x1cm along the top of the short walls. Here's where the topbars will rest. I then put the topbars in place, using a 12mm thick piece of wood as a template. I then drilled a small hole through the bars into the underlying box walls. The holes in the bars were used as a guide to saw slits into the ends. Into the holes in the walls I inserted toothpicks, so each bar fits. This makes easy replacing bars at the right spot later on.
The quilts were even easier to make. A 10cm high squareframe, burlap at the bottom and a fitting board on top. The burlap was an old shoppingbag. At some point last winter a mouse got into it and died there. During the decomposition process it bodily fluids had stained the plastic liner and seams and we deemed the bag unfit for further use.
When I pasted on the goo it looked a mess as it thickens even more as it cools and I took off the excess paste after letting it soak for a while. No idea if I should do that or not. While the burlap is still wet, fasten it to the quiltframe! When it dries it will put itself taught. Then just cut off the excess burlap and you have a box for your insulation.
The insulation itself is sawdust (not the powdery version). That stuff is also used for insulation on addicts around these parts and we have loads of it. The topboard was once a tabletop from an old diningtable.
The top was a bit trickier. I made a calculation error and had to redo one of them. But still it is quite straight forward and there even is a simpler version, which has only 1 slope. Of course I went for the harder one. Just looks better I think.
Now the legs.... Here I did do something I normally would not do. I used pressure impregnated wood. Simply because I still had that as a leftover from a job I did last year. I used 4 3x3cm normal wood legs (inner legs), but covered them with the impregnated wood (outer legs), so that the top of that runs over the edge, while the legs sit under the hive bottom. I cut the top of them outer legs in an angle so rain and meltwater can run off.
I did NOT need to buy;
2 broodchambers of whatever size or material
2 tops or inner covers
2 queen excluders
frames, usually 10 per box
waxsheets for each frame
The whole thing cost me one box of nails from the thriftshop..... plus the hours of labour. And if I can build them, really anybody can!!!
It truly is a people's hive; plain, simple and cheap. I hope effective too!
For now I have 2 hives with 2 boxes each. Only used 3 for the pictures. The remaining 2 boxes will serve as a makeshift swarm catcher, so I have 3 locations covered, enhancing my chances of attracting a swarm. I treated the bottom of the bars with wax as suggested/instructed by David Heaf.
See my previous post for links and extensive information on the subject.
Now go ahead! Make some! It really is as easy as it looks.