Saturday, August 2, 2014

A visit to the Gränsfors bruk smithy

the first thing is saw in the museum....
Because I do not want to call it a factory...

But before we took a look at the smithy we went to the axemuseum that is just in front of it. At first it looks like an ordinary house and at one time it most likely was, but now...... It is an old tools- and above all axeheaven!! There are literally axes all over the place! Dozens! Hundreds!! On the walls, on the floors, in bins and in heaps....
Some very unusual ones, too.
stone axes






After the museum we wanted more heavy metal and we went to the smithy itself. Through the factoryshop one gets access to the smithy and all it takes is putting on a reflective vest, so one is recognizable as a visitor. Then you can go around the premises by yourself, taking a look at the place in the pace you pretty much want. Some common sense and courtesy are of course desirable.
The workshops themselves have a laid back atmosphere. There is no high workingpace, no stress. They take their time with what they do, frequently checking and adjusting. Though machines are of course used, much old fashioned handwork is still required. They even take their time explaining what they do, how they do it and why. Answering whatever question regarding the production you might have..

a smith's workingarea

a smith at work
Finesharpening


Hardening....

adding shafts...

After the "tour" we went to the shop. It was hot (Did I mention that previously???) and they had icecream there. Of course they sell the products there too and while the others were savouring their icecreams I feasted my eyes on the Gränsforscollection. I had no intention of acquiring anything though...... untill I laid eyes on the corner with second choice articles. There were shafts and sharpening stones of Gotlands sandstone, but all with small defects, which are actually mostly of a cosmetical nature; misalignment, ugly grain, things like that. I got myself a 70cm shaft and a sharpening stone for the mindblowing price of 70kr.... total! For the 20kr the shaft cost me I can have a go and rehandling an axe myself without the fear of goofing up!

And then........ Christmas came early!!
I was looking at some axes and hatches, hands on of course, and somehow I kept ending up with the Vildmarks yxa in my hands. I noticed movement in the corner of my eye and a familiar, gentle voice saying :"Take it..." "No, I can't", I replied.... "Go on. Take it", said the voice again. "No, we can not", I replied again... "Yes, we can", the voice said again and I looked into my wife's eyes. Every good husband knows he has to do as his wife tells him to..... right?? So it followed me home, my very own Vildmarks yxa with booklet, bought at its birthplace....


It couldn't get any better, the perfect ending for a great week.
We went home......

3 comments:

  1. I ordered one of there about a month ago and it got delivered last week. Incredible axe and sharp as a razor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh! That axe museum looks absolutely awesome. The ones piled up on the walls look dangerous, though. I hope they got that organized a bit. Anyway, the smithy looks really cool. It must have been amazing to see the blacksmiths in action. Anyway, thank you for sharing the pictures! All the best to you!

    Rosemary Bailey @ WABI

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was an overwhelming privilege, Ron. It’s pretty dangerous to roam around a smith’s working area, and it’s great that the shop itself told you precautions before allowing you on your tour. I’m sure you’ve learned a lot from those smiths, and I hope you’ll be able to make use of those knowledge in the future. Congratulations on getting your new Vildmarks yxa, by the way. :)

    Bernice Parsons @ Badger Anodising

    ReplyDelete