2) 45gr. of dried and crushed juniperberries + 1,5l. of water = 1,3 L of a murky brown.
3) 150gr. of dried dandelionroot + 2l. of water = only 0,75l. of dark olive drab.
4) 150gr. of dried goldenrod + 3l. water = 1,25l. of dark khaki
5) Unknown weight in onionpeels (almost a paper shoppingbag full, both red and golden) + 10l. of water = 6l. of a rich, dark red
Somehow I expected more and was not satisfied with these samples. So I took things one step further. I cut several strips of an old, white cotton t-shirt and took some tufts of natural unbleached wool. I put those together with the raw dye, brought it to a boil and let it simmer for half an hour. The results were quite different and surprising! No mordant was used, no preboiling or washing, so the results might differ again, when doing the full proces.
I'm allready planning on other colours, but the gathering for the materials will take some time and effort.
On the wishlist are pinebark, birchleaves, dandelion flowerheads, rhubarbstems and -roots.
In the autum (hopefully) oakbark and acorns, various berryspecies and fallen (red and golden) leaves....
Doing this sounds timeconsuming, but it actually isn't. While the water, plantmaterial or dyes boil and simmer, you can do something else... like ironing.... ;)
Dried plantmaterial tends to absorb considerable amounts of water. Take that into account when trying something like this!!