Sunday, February 10, 2013
My wintersnowsmock is done!
Yes, finally.... My anorak is done!
It was fully functional after I dyed it, but I added some personal touches and decorations, to.... well... just make it mine.
At the secondhandstore I talked about earlier I found some blue and yellowribbon, which I really like. At home it turned out to be less than I had hoped for, so I just did the collar and the upper arms.
Skaukraft suggested I'd use juniperwood to make new buttons, so I gave that a try. And I am pleased with the result! The wood is kind of tough to work with as it is a hard kind of wood. But after a couple of hours of carving, sawing, sanding, finding out the buttons were to thick, so more sawing and sanding, drilling and oiling I had all the buttons needed. The resulting buttons are a bit crude, but I like it that way. Not to neat and polished.
I also added the fur. That proved to be harder to do than I had anticipated, because I practically could not see what I was doing. The sewing was done by tough rather than by sight.
I cut small holes in the fur, through which the straps of the hood run. This way I can still draw the hood tight.
The first trails; I did those while shoveling snow on a cold (-8) morning with quit a bit of wind. I only wore a t-shirt and a flanel shirt underneath, but still I got sweaty. The anorak really is windproof.
I don't do well on pictures.... In real life I'm less of a sourpuss.... ;)