Monday, January 14, 2013

Demilitarising an axe

As I mentioned a while ago, I found a surplus Swedish armyaxe in a local secondhandshop and what can I say.... it followed me home. Allthough I like my gear to be in subdued colours, like greens and browns, I did not like the way this axe looked. It was coated in a dark greenpaint, but the original greyish greenpaint showed through on the head. So I decided to de-militarise it, meaning clean it up and remove the paint. The leather cap was dirty, had mold on it and the straps felt quit dry.
 



So I sat to work. First I took out that odd ring at the back, glued a wooden peg into the remaining hole and sanded that smooth later. I sanded the head and handle bare, which was quite a tough job by hand. First with an 80 grid paper to get through the layers of paint and than finish it smooth with a 120 grid. In order to make sure the head remeined firmly in its place, I let it soak in an oilbath for 24 hours. The leatherpiece was washed in lukewarm water with a mild detergent, removing grim and mold. After it had dried it was treated with leathergrease.


I like to adorn my things with a personal something, usually meaning a moose('s head). I used a small powertool to grind one into the back of the blade, befor giving it all a vinegarbath in order to create a patina. I only succeede partially in my goal, because the patine came out much less dark than I had planned and the moose's head is not as visible as I'd hoped. Bu´t under certain angles it really stands out with an almost ancient feel about it.... I love it!

The handle is bare wood, but with dark green in its grain. I kind off like that too. Shows the grain rerally well and gives a hint of the axe's heritage and history..... That sounds a lot better than :"I couldn't get it off and out by hand."
The dark disclouoring under the head is moisture from the vinegarbath. I hope that'll dry out colourless, though.

All in all I like the civilianversion a lot better!

5 comments:

  1. Great job Ron- I really like the moose you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done Ron.
    Nothing like giving old things a new life.

    Skaukraft

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron, this is the nicest refurbishing job I've seen in a while. It's a totally different axe with a great personal touch (love that moose).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work, that's looking better now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the replies, guys!
    That moose was actually the best part of it.

    ReplyDelete