Sunday, August 26, 2012

An all leather daypack brought back to life

I do not get out into the woods much these days, so I have to pass time in another way.
So I keep myself busy with outdoor-related things to do.

One of these projects is bringing an all leather rucksack back to life. I bought it on a yardsale yesterday for an astonishing 5SEK.... yep €0,60 or $0.75. I just could not pass on it.
The leather had a mustardyellow colour, had some nasty waterstains and was dry like parchement. The zipper from the frontpocket was broken, too, hence the low price.




Upon inspection at home I found the zipper itself inside the frontpocket, so all I had to do was reinsert it and sew up the loose ends. I also had to restitch some of the thread of the shoulderstrappadding. Add 2 treatments with leathergrease and you get an entirely different backpack!


 
While stitching up the zipperend I noticed that the leather where the thread had run trough, was torn up. This meant I could not reuse the existing holes and threaddirection. So I had to stitch in a different way. Getting the end fastened was a bit tricky.
 
The stitched up zipperend.
Some specification of the bag; it is all leather and has an interial steel frame. The lid is lined with some plastic sheet, which is a bit stiff and noisy, but it will keep the rain out of the main compartment. The bag has an estimated capacity of about 20-25L, so will make a great daypack.
 

 

 
 All in all I am very pleased with this purchase and with the endresult. I figured that for those 5 kronor I would at least end up with a good amount of leather for DIY-projects, but ended up with a suitable daypack. I filled it up and tested it. Fit is comfortable, but I will have to try that in earnest one of these days. There is a sort of wastestrap.... well actually is runs across the lower horizontal steelstrip on the lower back. I have no idea what its purpose is, but I am already considering adding leather straps to it, so it will go around my waste and be a proper wastebelt. The cotton closingthread will in due time be replaced by a leather one, offcourse.

2 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT restoration job, Ron! You took one man's "garbage", put some work into it and made it an attractive and (once again) functional outdoors item. And almost for free! Again, well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on that. I'm liking it

    ReplyDelete