Saturday, June 9, 2012

The small wonders of nature...

As you can tell, I don't get out much these days, but that gives me the opportunity to see the world right under my nose..... Literally! Nature has it's ways of bringing you to your knees..
When working in the garden today I noticed a small creature, that stood out so very obvious.... I had to check it out!
Here are some pictures of it;


As you can see, he wasn't too happy about our attention.
After this intermezzo I got distracted and started spotting all kinds of Nature's little treasures; bugs, flowers, ants and even some kind of fungus, I think. My wife had joined me by this time, to marvel at these small wonders of nature, too.


We found a dead blackbird, or what was left of it, and saw some garbagedisposal in action.


Finf the bug.... we also found on the blackbird remains.

Some kind of butteryellow nest. Only about a cm or so tall. A spider's cocoon??


2 small flowers, both visited by the same tiny beetle



Here's the fungus-like growth I meant. It looked like a coloured sugarcoating and many of the leaves of this particular birch were infected.


A very sweet picture...

Berries in bloom!

A tiny spider showing very bright, almost neonyellow, stripes
I was busy cutting, splitting and stacking the last of out firewoodsupplies and at the bottom of one of the earlier cut piles I came across this; pieces of a willowspecies with sprouting twigs! These pieces were cut in early april!

There is also an anthill under construction in this corner of the garden. I just leave it there. The ants don't bother anyone and I somehow am fascinated by these little, but so very busy creatures.
One tackling a piece of grass....


Two handling a larger piece of a twig....


but these were in over their heads!! A twig about 4cm long, was hauled by a number of ants. About 4-6 of them were cooperating to get this twig onto the nesthill!


2 comments:

  1. Just goes to show that you don't have to go far and wide to appreciate nature. :)

    I think I saw a similar fungus growing on some birch leaves last weekend. Weird.

    weekendwoodsman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great outing Ron, some really good pics you took. Nice pack too.

    ReplyDelete