Yesterday I got notice that I have not been accepted into university and that hit home harder than anticipated. All of the built up frustration and irritation over these last few years surfaced, sparking an anger and spite such as I have not felt it in many years. So I was in dire need of some "green medicine"! That's why I finished the pack basket yesterday, so I could give that one a test run, too.
On my way in I came across one of the "locals". Pretty big fella..
First destination was the old camp and lean-to. That proved to be an abysmal sight. It had been 2 months since I last was here and in the meantime we have had a severe drought, more than a week of hot weather, followed by a sudden change in weather bringing monsoon-like downpours and strong winds. Not a needle was left on the branches!
So I just tore the whole thing down and spread all the branches through the area. Since that is mainly spruce too, the unusually high concentration of branches should not be to obvious. After removing all of the "tiling" the main roof frame was visible and that still held! I could topple it over in one piece. If I had chosen to redo the roof, the lean-to would have been usable again.
I also noticed an unusually high amount of rowan shoots. Even 2 right in front of the lean-to! Yet there are no rowan on site. I guess birds must've "dropped" them off.
The poles I put upright next to a spruce and I did the same with a number of the larger branches next to another. These will make good firewood for future visits, like in winter. It can dry some more, which is needed, because when I cut a piece of bark from a birch, it was still green underneath! This piece has been cut down last autumn, has been used in my lean to, away from the soil, in sun and wind and still green. Birch never ceases to amaze me!
While I was running around, scattering all the building materials, I frolicked about a bit with my anorak. I had to put that one on, since the Swedish Luftwaffe (mosquitoes) was very active. So active that even Wilma's Nordic Summer struggled to be effective.
When all the work was done it was time for some coffee. But first fire preparations had to be made. I always carve away some of the bark on the first birch branches, exposing the dry fibers beneath. It not only keeps the water inside, but quite effectively protects the wood from fire as well.
I had a bit of difficulty with the firesteel, getting the sparks to land where I wanted to. It has been months since I last used it. But it worked. And the camera fell over for no particular reason...
After an hour or 2, having cleaned up the area (and found some peace of mind), had my coffee and my lunch, I doused the fire with the remaining water I had with me, more was on the way, judging by the accumulating clouds and incidental thunderclaps overhead, I packed up my basket, deciding I would hike up the mountain/hill, a roughly 5km round trip.